Friday, April 21, 2006

Am I Worth More?

Okay ladies, too many times we settle for our less than ideal man merely because of poor self esteem. This is a weakness of countless women regardless of age or race, social or economic status. I remember two distinct times in my dating years when I caught myself settling for far less than I deserved. One was with a handsome naval aviator. Now I was just beginning to date when Top Gun was a hit movie so having my own Tom Cruise "Maverick" character was a dream come true, so I thought. But he was mean. Yes, he was cranky, withdrawn and on some of our dates he was very quiet and boring. But hey, he was hot and he liked me and wasn't I asking too much to be entertained and happy as well? Hello! No I wasn't . We deserve to be adored and appreciated! Every woman does!

The relationship (or whatever it was at that point) came to a screaching halt one particular date when he had taken me out to a nice very exclusive restaurant. We were sitting at this beautiful setting with several tables around us filled with couples gazzing dreamily into each others eyes. In contrast we sat by each other in conspicuous silence. It was awful. I even caught myself eavesdropping on the couples around me just to have something to do. And I wondered how it must be to have someone who found me interesting enough to talk to.

That was my wake up call! Did I really want to spend a life being bored out of my mind? Is being with someone just because they're good looking or just because they'd ask me out for that matter, worth settling for an unhappy or unhealthy relationship? No way.

It is better to be single and alone than married and miserable.

I chose to be alone at that stage in my life and wait for someone who actually wanted to talk to me. Let's be real. I was heartbroken and cried days (maybe even a week or two) that he didn't seem to care I was out of his life. But I was willing to go through short term pain rather than long term misery. If a man chooses to leave you and you know he is not the IDEAL man for you, let him go. Don't chase him, no matter how much it hurt. You deserve more.

I hope you do, as well. We are all worthy of being cherished and spoken to :-)

No comments: