Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Did God Really Tell You That?

Steve Laube had a great post today titled "God Gave Me This Post"! During my agent years, I so remember getting these type of calls from aspiring writers, directors and actors trying to break into Hollywood who would find out I was an agent who happened to be a Christian. Amazing how many heard from God that I was to be their agent. Some even heard my name in a dream. In most cases they quite clearly heard the wrong voice. Using the phrase "God told me" is too often manipulation (even if unintentional). Must say it was always delicate to turn them down in a loving way because some would hate me and come up to me at events-- some were so devastated that it affected their faith--but my career depended on me representing talent I could obtain paid work for (same with Steve).

Here's the great news for all those writers who feel God told them to write their project: If an agent or publisher turns you down-- simply self publish and you can quickly have your book in hand, fulfill what you are convinced God told you to do and have no hard feelings for those who didn't share your vision. Go easy on Christians making a living trying to get writers work--they have to feed their families too and if they don't feel they can sell you, then they, personally, can't and it doesn't mean they are mean or unChristian.

No comments: